I f You (or someone you know) have a speech impediment that makes it difficult to be understood, THIS is FOR YOU
Systems don’t always work as well for people with atypical speech. By personalizing its speech recognition to the individual, Project Relate seeks to improve everyday life for people with speech impairments.
Project Relate is a continuation of years of research from both Google’s Speech and Research teams, made possible by over a million speech samples recorded by over a thousand individuals. We welcome new trusted testers to experience the app and provide feedback. Express interest at g.co/ProjectRelate.
(I have cut and pasted the form, so you can seethe qualifications required to participate )
Google Project Relate Interest Form
You are signing up to be included in a beta research app release of Google’s Project Relate.
Project Relate can be trained to understand your specific speech, if you provide it with examples of you talking. Project Relate needs at least 500 phrases to be trained; most people need 1-2 hours, which can be spread over multiple sessions, to complete their 500 phrases. You will need an Android phone (e.g. Pixel, Samsung, OnePlus) running Android OS 8 or later to be able to use the app.
We value your thoughts and feedback. When you submit your feedback to Google, we will determine your eligibility (based on certain compliance and legal considerations) for either a cash or other non-cash incentive, up to $60 or local currency equivalent.
IMPORTANT: If you’re filling out this form on behalf of someone else, please ensure you have their permission to do so.
The purpose of this questionnaire is to verify your eligibility to download and use Google’s Project Relate app. The data you provide in the app and this form may be used to assist Google to design, research, develop, build, and improve the accessibility of its current and future products and services related to speech technologies. Information you provide in this questionnaire may be combined with other information and data that you chose to provide during the data collection, if you are selected to participate.
Questions? Write us anytime at email@example.com
- Strangers or people I just met find it difficult to understand my speech (and not just because of an accent).
- I am 18 years of age or over
- I have access to an Android mobile device, running Android OS 8 or later, to download the Relate app
- I understand I need to record at least 500 phrases (which can take anywhere between 30 to 90 minutes) in order to train Project Relate to understand me and that new features of the app that are unlocked by these recordings may take a few days to receive.
- I understand that even after recording 500 phrases, Project Relate may still not understand me perfectly.
- I understand I will need to record each phrase word-for-word in order to teach Relate to understand me. If I don’t say exactly what is written, Relate may not work as well. If I make a mistake, I can re-record the prompt.
- I understand that the phrases I record will also be used to help improve Google’s speech technologies and the products and services that use them.
- I understand that Project Relate is for English speakers only at this time.
You must confirm agreement with all the listed criteria to participate